Friday 6 May 2011

WOOD CARVING WEEK ONE

I have for a long time been interested in carpentry put lack the skills to be very good at it. A visit to a wood yard can be like visiting one of natures art galleries. The beautiful grain in wood and the smell of freshly cut wood is a visual and sensual delight. It is a very tactile substance as well, whether its the outer rough grain of the bark or the inner smooth surface after it is cut, planed, and polished. It comes in so many colours in both hard and soft woods with unique patterns and layers.

This week I was fortunate to begin a 4 week Introduction to Wood Carving Course with my new friend Bill Hudson. Bill is a London/Kent based sculptor that works in wood carving, wood construction and bronze. His inspirations for work are found in the city, human made landscapes and the rural countryside, He also creates public art for parks and gardens.


Bill has given be freedom to chose what I would like to learn to carve. I told Bill I would like to carve letters so it might fit into our Anatomy of Type. He has introduced me to the work of Eric Gill a famous sculptor and typographer. Eric Gill designed the font Gill Sans and Perpetua amongst others.

Over the next few weeks I will keep you up with my progress. Hard woods are better for carving and I began by just carving lines into the wood, before starting my first letter.

 A SELECTION OF CHISELS
A CARVED GRID AND A NICE FEATHER EFFECT
I STARTED BY DRAWING A BASIC E ON A PIECE OF CHERRY WOOD


IT TOOK ALMOST 2 HOURS TO GET TO THIS POINT
There is a long way to go, but it was great fun and very enjoyable.


To see Bill's work visit his website www.wmhudson.com

No comments:

Post a Comment