Wednesday 31 August 2011

WATERLOO SUNSET - COLLAGE

After I interviewed Paul Catherall, a London-based printmaker and illustrator. I did a follow-on project using Paul's work as inspiration. Not having access to printmaking equipment I wanted to use a different process to finish my artwork. Though I was inspired by Paul, I didn't want to just copy his style completely, but wanted to make the work my own and put my stamp on it. Here is the step-by-step process.

MY ORIGINAL PICTURE, ROUPELL STREET, WATERLOO SE1
IN ILLUSTRATOR I CREATED THIS USING THE IDEA LESS-IS-MORE 
ON TOP OF THIS POOR A3 COLOUR PRINT I DREW A GRID
I DOUBLED THE SIZE OF THE GRID TO FIT AN A2 LAYOUT SHEET
THEN I RE-DREW THE IMAGE BY HAND
AFTER CUTTING OUT EACH SECTION I EXPERIMENTED WITH DIFFERENT COLOURS
BUT I DECIDED TO STICK WITH MY ORIGINAL COLOURS OF CHOICE
FINISHED WORK BEFORE FRAMING
FRAMED AND ON MY WALL



1 comment:

  1. Excellent Tim. This falls in nicely with quite a few of the projects eg colour and structure, visual language and grammar and even structure and the city. We use to do a project called reduction and redundancy about how far you could reduce an image to its essentials yet still retain its recognisability. Good to see you still trying to push your own approach.

    ReplyDelete